Sunday, January 30, 2011

Huron River weekend

I drove up to Toledo after work on Friday and crashed Greg Senyos place for the evening. Had a feast of a meal and hung out with him and his son. Spent the evening hanging out, going through flies and materials, and finished off watching a movie on fishing in New Zealand for monster browns that should be out some time this year. Long story shot it was absolutely amazing.

Got up in the morning after an alarm clock delay and hit the raod in pretty rough conditions to make it up to Canton to get to the 6th annual Huron River Fly Tying Symposium....got there at 8:57! With a quick set up I quickly settled in to tying streamers for the day. It was a bit slow early but once the roads cleaned up a bit it was a steady stream of people throughout the day.

Towards the end of the day I pulled out the Pro FlyTyer tubes and played around a bit. The more I tie with them the more I like them. Here is a shot of a back wing Scandi that I tied up with a IC Sub dyed Funky Feather from John McClain. The back of the tube is a little long and will need to be cut down a bit, but I really like the overall effect.

Today I got back to the vice and have been working on orders. One group that held particular interest was a request for mega sized sculpins. I went ahead and tied up half a dozen Conrads that are nine inches long anf an inach and a half wide in the head! Two Daiichi 2220 size 2 with a Beadalon connection; these will be wicked cool in the water.

-miks schmidt
http://www.anglerschoiceflies.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment