Monday, February 6, 2012

BUFF show and MRO class week 1

I made it down to Cincinati last weekend for the Buckeye United Fly Fishers fly show. It seemed that this was the best year that I can remember as far as vendors and crowd size was concerned. I believe there were in the neighborhood of 600 people to come through the single day show! One of the people that came through was Michael Decoteau and he got this shot for me as I was in action. I do believe it may well be the best shot I have had taken at a show yet; thanks Michael!

At 11 I took a break from tying on the floor and headed over to the lecture room to demo streamer tying, and specifically the Red Rocket. It was a packed house and we went in to detail on the fly by focusing on the techniques employed as the fly was tied.

It was a pretty packed room that was very engaged. they asked good questions trhoughout and I really had a great time.

Here is a shot of the 'Tying Room'. this year it was a new set up consisting of a full ring of tables so that people could walk the exterior and see all the participating tiers. The swim tank was a hit again and was a great tool to show people exactly how a few flies act in current.

I tried to keep it clean....but this is the aftermath...

Since the show I have been busy this week knocking out orders to get to various corners of the country. Here are a few different shots of some flies that went out the door this week.





Tonight was the first night of the winter tying class at Mad River Outfitters. It is a good group of guys, and I think it will be a really good time through the end of the month. It will be fun to see how hard I can push them in this technique heavy class since a few have only been tying less than two months! They did great tonight and I think will be able to keep up just fine as we navigate our way through a few patterns a week. Homework will be to tie, tie, and tie some more in between classes ;)

Will be knocking out a few more orders and getting some flies ready for Orvis the rest of this week, and then it is off to Louisville for the Kentuckiana Fly Show Friday night. I am really looking forward to this show as I have had to miss it the last two years but had a great time the years I was there before that. Hope to see a few of you there this Saturday.

I did not hit the water this week, but have a whole lot of flies I know are getting a swim right now so keep your eyes out for an upcoming ACF customer fish posting...

-mike schmidt
www.anglerschoiceflies.com

No comments:

Post a Comment