Wednesday, February 9, 2011

New streamer: Mike's Voodoo Squatch

I had kept it quiet for a bit but since my New Years Day trip to the Mad River to chase fish I had let slip to a few people that there was a new streamer that had passed the fishing test, and the Voodoo Squatch is that fly. Through the fall I alternated between the Voodoo Squatch and the Red Rocket and had a blast hammering on fish with both! The Voodoo Squatch is tied on a Gamagatsu B10S 2/0 to a Daiichi 2141 size1, which tapes it out at a bit over 5 inches. Utilizing layers of marabou and bucktail, this fly maintains a bulky profile topped off by a generous Senyo Laser Dub head complete with 1/2" 3D Epoxy eyes.



As you can see from the above shot the fly it is a nice wide fly, which holds at about an inch in width when wet. The bulk of the head and the bucktail collar cause heavy cavitation which moves the back of the fly around as if it were alive. This thick profile is maintained when quickly jerk stripped or a slower retrieve can be employed, either way the fly seems to 'breathe' everytime it stops between strips. Hope you all like this one, there will be a step by step posted at some point.
-mike schmidt

7 comments:

  1. Great looking fly, Mike. I look forward to seeing the step by step for this one. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be putting my order in shortly... Looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both, it's a fun one to fish!

    Aileen, since I just did the Scandi tube step by step it will probably be about two weeks before I clean up the pictures and release this one. It will be posted here when it comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice(!) and glad to see that the color combo works. I tied two in very similar colors a few weeks ago but they have yet to see the water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a big meaty mouthful of a fly, Mike. I can see that tearing up largemouths on Lake Tarpon in a couple of months. I'm looking forward to the step-by-step.

    Paul T.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really nice...I may even let you start sponsoring me in exchange for a few pics of these hanging from the jaws of 20+ inch Mad River Browns. I'm just saying! ;-)

    ReplyDelete